Awesome Image

Most Successful Law Firm

Work Permit Renewals

  • Home
  • Work Permit Renewals

Work Permit Renewals

B Visitor Visas

The ability to work brings support for you and your family financially. When applying for a marriage visa within the United States, your aim could be to start a professional life or continue your life in the United States. There are situations where you would need to work for ten-month or more while your marriage green card is processing.  At this juncture, you might need a work permit, which is also called the Employment Authorization Document. 

Applying for a marriage-based visa also known as green card from overseas, makes it impossible to get a separate work permit before the process ends. Work authorization begins when an individual enters the United States and gets a green card.

Working in the United States and not having an issued authorization is frowned upon by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and an individual’s opportunity of getting a green card application may be at risk. However, having a legal status in the United States is not an automatic permission to work.

A posing question is the possibility of extending a Work Visa?

Eligibility is possible while applying for an extension of your authorized period of stay if:

  • You were admitted lawfully into the United States via a nonimmigrant visa;
  • The validity of your nonimmigrant visa status is ascertained;
  • no crimes have been committed by you that make you ineligible for a visa;
  • no violation of the conditions of your admission;
  • you have a valid passport and remain valid for the period of your stay.

It is important to see the date in the lower right corner of your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record, to ascertain the date your validity stay expires. It is advisable you apply to extend your stay at least 45 days before your authorized stay expires.